Wednesday 26 January 2022

Another Unrecognised Budé Manuscript?

[I failed to do a blogpost this last weekend, so here is a quick one to fill the gap.]

I hope to get to Portugal this summer, so I am looking through the Inventário dos códices iluminados até 1500, ed. by Isabel Vilares Cepeda and others (2 vols, Lisbon, 1994), to see if there are any libraries I ought to visit. In the first volume is an image of Lisbon, Biblioteca de Ajuda, 46-VIII-13, shown above.

In the illuminated initial "I" is a shield with arms that may be famililar to readers of this blog (if they remember the blogposts here and here):
The arms belong to the famous Budé family, whose members include several important biblophiles, most notably Jean Budé (1425-1502) and his son Guillaume Budé (1467-1540), librarian of François I's library at Fontainebleau. 
The arms had apparently not been recognised by 1994, when the brief catalogue entry was written:
While I would be surprised if no one else has recognised the arms since then, I can find no record that the identification has been published until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

** PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN YOUR COMMENT **

I may ignore and delete anonymous comments