Sunday 27 June 2021

The St Albans Bible [II]

A number of end-of-month deadlines mean that I again fail to write blog this weekend, but I have added a list of leaves to my Membra disiecta pages, here.

Here is a leaf of the Bible displayed in St Albans Abbey:

The historiated initial was excised, and has been replaced in modern times by a local artist:


And here is a second leaf at the Abbey, in which the hole from an excised initial has been patched with a piece of another leaf from the Bible:


1 comment:

  1. Imaginative treatment! I have updated the V&A entries so our three leaves are properly catalogued and easy to find (https://collections.vam.ac.uk/search/?q=St%20Albans%20Bible%20leaf&page=1). Thanks for all your research!

    ReplyDelete

** PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN YOUR COMMENT **

I may ignore and delete anonymous comments