Tuesday 25 July 2023

Two More Erik von Scherling Catalogues Online: A Postscript

One of the reasons my previous post may be significant is that it demonstrates that von Scherling kept issuing catalogues of medieval manuscripts during the hiatus between vol. III (1933) and vol. IV (1937) of his Rotulus series.

Checking my files today I found some photos I took at the New York Public Library in 2021, and they include this image:

 [Detail]
"Rotulus [...]
Temporarily suspended during 1934. Will appear again probably in Feb. 1935.
In 1934 only a few manuscript-lists will be issued [...]"

This tells us that he intended to keep publishing lists in 1934 (such as the List 2 discussed in the previous blogpost), but not the more extensive Rotulus catalogues, until about February 1935.

Looking through my NYPL images, I also realised that the PDFs available online do not include vol. III no. 3/4, issued in November 1933:

Because I thought I had a complete set of PDFs, I did not photograph it thoroughly, but I did shoot the plates, which include the miniature by the Spanish Forger shown at the top of this page (it is included in the 1978 Morgan Library exhibition catalogue, item L93, as "Location unknown"). I hope to be back in NYC next April, and will have to consult this catalogue again to photograph the rest of its contents.

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading (at the Morgan exhibit in 78?) that people in the Spanish Forger's work have sugary sweet faces. This one does.

    ReplyDelete

** PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN YOUR COMMENT **

I may ignore and delete anonymous comments